Monday, June 22, 2009

Eltonio Update and the Base


First things first: Elton is doing great. He’s still getting along with his roommates, Daisy the two-year-old cocker spaniel and Fuzzy the long-haired cat. I’ve been informed that Daisy and Elton have had minor scuffles over food dropped by baby Aiden, but was pleased to learn that recently the two hounds have engaged in spontaneous play around the house. I was very glad to hear this. Elton playing with other dogs is about as common as a solar eclipse. He prefers snorting contentedly in a catatonic-like state while enjoying the caress of a human hand.

(photo: Elton and Daisy share a futon)

Warning: the following paragraph is gross and includes semi-explicit descriptions of dog waste.

I had been a bit concerned over Elton’s abnormal stools, which were loose and contained mucous and blood. He’s had bouts of this in the past, which usually cleared up after several days of plain white rice and chicken breast meals instead of dog food. This time the diet didn’t work. My friend Rachel offered to take us to a local Japanese vet that her dog had been to since the vet at Camp Zama Army base is difficult to get into. I was really uncomfortable with Elton’s BM looking like ice cream sundae topping, so I took Rachel up on her offer. (Sorry, but you were warned).

I was somewhat concerned about the communication gap we would experience at the local vet. I found out that when you walk into a vet’s office with a bag of poo and a dog, you don’t really need to speak the same language. The vet spoke enough English to explain how to fill out the information sheet. I held up Elton’s stool sample and he soon guessed, “Diarrhea?” “Hai (yes), with chi (blood),” I added, proud of my broken Japanese. The exam and stool sample revealed that there was no infection, just a case of colitis. The vet was very helpful and friendly—he even had his little Italian Greyhound assisting him. He gave us several days worth of anti-diarrheals and antacids and sent us on our way. Total cost for visit, meds and stool sample test: around 2900 yen~$30. Quite a bargain! And I’m happy to report Elton’s poo is solid and sans chi.

Some of you have been informed that we will be moving into base housing this week. We did look at several houses and apartments out in town but only found one that was big enough and new enough for us. For those of you wondering how you even begin to look for a place in Japan, you just talk to a counselor at the housing office here on base and they set up appointments for you. An agent will then pick you up on base and take you to the house. It was a nice single family home in a lovely neighborhood, 15 minutes from base, relatively close to a park and a train station. Unfortunately, it was about 9,000 yen/month ($90) over our monthly housing allowance. We also would’ve needed two cars if we lived off base and this house only allowed for one space. Another space could be rented for around 8,000 yen/month ($80). Other cons of living off base include tiny kitchens with no dishwashers, poor insulation (even in newer homes), and clothes dryers that take forever and drain energy. So even though the 1,300 sqft. home would’ve been larger than our 845 sqft. base apartment, we decided that the extra costs and inconveniences weren’t worth it. Some people worry that living on base is isolating and prevents you from experiencing the culture. But I think Kyle and I are adventuresome enough to have plenty of off-base experiences, especially since I will be teaching English out in the community.

Now I guess I’ll tell you a little bit about the place we’ll be living for the next three years: Naval Air Facility, Atsugi. The base is relatively small. You can pretty much walk anywhere you need to in 15 minutes or less. There are two gyms/fitness facilities that offer all kinds of group fitness classes. I got owned by a tiny Asian woman in the two Body Pump classes I’ve attended. They have an indoor and an outdoor pool, ball fields, a track, commissary (grocery store), Navy Exchange (like a department store), an elementary school, a medical clinic, a hotel, golf course, church—basically anything a small town in the States would have. Except for the Japanese Maritime Self-Defense Forces with whom we share the base.


(Photo: Base chapel, originally a dojo, which holds Catholic and Protestant services.)

The eating establishments on base are okay. Kyle’s hands-down favorite is probably the galley/mess hall where you pay $4.25 and gorge yourself on mediocre cafeteria fare. There are usually a couple choices for the main dish and sides, plus a salad bar, fruit bar, soup of the day, assorted desserts, an ice cream machine and an entire wall of beverage choices. I actually don’t mind eating there but it’s such a cramp-inducing experience. One would think that since you’re only paying $4.25 you wouldn’t feel the need to stuff yourself to “get your money’s worth.” But we do. Every time. I really don’t know what happens to my brain when I get in line that makes me think, “I should get 2 lbs. of pineapple in addition to the six melon slices already on my plate. That’s reasonable.” And I don’t know what possesses Kyle to declare, with drooping eyelids and a sweaty brow, “I’m so full,” then walk directly to the beverage wall and fill a to-go cup with 24 oz. of sweet, rich cappuccino. We’re little better than goldfish who will eat themselves to death when given the chance.


Other dining options include the O Club (Officer’s Club), a couple other sit-down places, McDonald’s and the NEX food court. Here you’ll find Dunkin’ Donuts, Baskin Robbins, Popeye’s, Anthony’s Pizza, Subway, Seattle’s Best Coffee, and Taco Bell. There’s also a Japanese food court in a separate building that houses three different restaurants. We’ve eaten at two of them, including one that’s kind of run like the Soup Nazi from Seinfeld. You give one lady your order and pay her. She hands you a little colored piece of square plastic. She yells your order to the cooks. You step to the side and hand another lady your plastic tag so she knows what you ordered, even though the first lady just told her what you ordered. Whatever works.


The base is a great place to walk the dogs. It’s a nice change from our neighborhood in Pensacola where I strolled through a sidewalkless shanty town, dodging vicious dogs and armadillo carcasses the whole way. What a dump that town is…Anyway, I walk Daisy and Elton pretty much every day and the only thing that surprises me more than how well they walk together is the fact that we haven’t all been eaten by the gigantic crows. These birds are big and ballsy and they scare me. Apparently, they’re also dexterous little buggers who love to nose through your trash. Can’t wait for that.

Kyle is gradually getting into the swing of things at the clinic. He has already been to Sasebo for a week to cover the clinic there. It’s a Naval base to the southeast of us, near Nagasaki, which doesn’t have a permanent optometrist. It’s about a two-hour flight or an eight-hour shinkansen (bullet train) ride. He got to do both: flight to and the shinkansen back. In true Kyle style, he’s been staying late at the clinic, ensuring a smooth transition from the previous doctor. I predict he will have everyone thoroughly impressed with his skills in approximately one month. For any optom-nerds reading this, I suggest you email Kyle for the enthralling details.

I hope summer is being kind to you all thus far. June is rainy season here so we’re enjoying frequent showers and high humidity. We’re bracing ourselves for July and August when the heat and humidity will really turn this place into crotch sweat central. But, we’re from the Midwest and we lived in Pensacola so I’m sure we’ll survive. I think that’s enough for now. Be sure to check out the next post when I’ll tell you about my new Japanese friends. Until then…

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

Such an exciting experience...I'm so jealous! I also love your poop description :)

marigirl said...

the poop was gross (I was warned!) but the galley/goldfish description had me laughing so hard I had to stop before I could keep reading. awesome!

let's hang out soon